Friday, July 18, 2008

Thanks for the Memories - by Haley

Today was, sadly, my last day to be with the kids and teachers at the Mission Lazarus school in San Marcos. The day could not have gone better. I spent the hour before school started with kids on my lap. I made sure to smell them, to study their faces, and to feel their warmth, as I want to remember each of these precious ones for a long time. During the Friday morning movie, I was able to sit on the floor, with three of the older girls leaning up against me. Toward the end of the movie we four had a great conversation about my university, pets, English words, and the climate(s) and topography(ies) of the United States. During recess I played with the kids (which included pushing kids on the swings, twirling kids around, and having a seven-against-one tickle fight). I also took a few more photos. After recess the Kindergarten class sang (I pounded the words to the songs firmly into my memory), and read stories. Dismissal was, of course, the saddest part for me. I said goodbye to as many of the kids individually as I could. I dearly hope to see them again - in this life, as well as in Heaven.

This has been an amazing summer. It´s hard to believe that already eight weeks have gone by. I wish that my memory were strong enough to remember for the rest of my life each moment of this summer. Alas, some details will fade. But I think I have a good list of those dearest and strongest memories which I may indeed be able to carry with me for the rest of my life:
  • That first medical brigade with the group from Mayfair, and the ensuing flooded trek across hills, fences, walls, and streams back to the intern house
  • The homes of the people of Cedeño, constructed of sticks and thatched roofs, home to families with shoeless and educationless children
  • The cobblestone street in San Marcos, leading up to the Hotel Shalom - the site of our semi-weekly Spanish lessons and home of the beloved Señora Mari
  • Sitting in the park in San Marcos, listening to the quiet, looking at the trees, and loving the peace and the people passing by
  • Working, awestruck, alongside Don Porfilio, the ninety-year-old man who could outwork all of us interns combined
  • The hugs and smiles and laughter and faces of all of the kids at the school and at the refuge
  • The love and great cooking of Doña Cristiana at the school in San Marcos
  • Those first successful conversations with Doña Roxana, Don Oscar, Don Porfilio, the children at the futbol field, and the girls at the school
  • The air and rain and mountains of Honduras
  • Learning to see God at work in the lives and hearts of the people around me
  • The way that Jaclyn lightens the air in a room with her fun and always-loving attitude toward others
  • The neard, and the man behind it
  • The alternately joking and contemplative nature of Kyle
  • The air of a leader (and of great cooking) that surrounds Loren
  • The unexpected trusting and open conversations with Amy
  • The transformation from worry to trust, peace, and eager anticipation in Kendra
  • The God-conversations and cattle-herding amazingness with Katie
  • The deep discussions and story-sharing with Heather - in El Jefe, under the stars, or on walks back to the intern house.
  • The great team that is Jarrod, Ally, Chad, Shelly, Meredith, Gustavo, Arle, Alma, Samuel, Ariel, Don Porfilio, Margot, Jorge, Henri, Juan, Luis, Javier, Lexi, Wilson, Claudia, Carmen, Alba, Olman, and all the other amazing, loving, and hard-working people that serve with Mission Lazarus every day of the year.
To all the people with whom I have had the privilege of spending this summer, thank you for the love, and thank you for the memories.

Que Dios le bendiga.

Haley

1 comment:

Trudy said...

I am sure the children at the school will remember the "gringa" with the curly hair, too. And they will be telling stories to their children of this loving lady who spent part of her summer with them. Blessings--TGRD