Monday, June 9, 2008

Duck, Duck, Goose and other School Stories

Today was Day 3 of being at ¨la escuela¨ in San Marcos. I feel more comfortable there now, because I´m learning the routine...and I´m able to understand more of what is said now. Also, today Jaclyn came to the school with me, which helped. I felt more confident because I was able to show her the ropes, introduce her, and translate a little for her. I think she had a good day too, even though it was her first day and she is still learning what to do.


I think that we interns are most helpful at recess, because we are able to play with the kids. Today Jaclyn and I pushed kids on the swings, and played fútbol, and tossed a basketball around, and played ¨Pato, Pato, Ganzo,¨or ¨Duck, Duck, Goose.¨ This week in Honduras is a week of ¨vacation¨ from school. Thus, the Mission Lazarus schools only have half-days this week. Today most of the kids left around 12:30 or 1:00. But a handful of kids stayed until 3pm - their parents are working.

Oh, I almost forgot! This morning I led the devotional for the school staff. I was a little nervous when Hermana Roxana asked me last week if I would do it. I spent a lot of time over the weekend praying, studying my Bible in Spanish, practicing what I was supposed to say, and asking the Lord to give me the words. Praise God! I think it went really well! I read from Romans 4:16-22, which talks about the faith that Abraham had. Even though he was 100 years old and he and Sarah didn´t have any kids, Abraham believed what God told him: that he would be ¨father of many nations.¨ And after that happened, Sarah gave birth to a son. The word that God speaks changes things. The word that God spoke created the world. Brought light into the universe. Healed the sick. Raised the dead. Cast out demons. Made the blind to see and the deaf to hear. Turned the sinner into a righteous man. This is the same word that God speaks into our lives through the Holy Spirit. And this word has the power to change our lives. To change our minds and hearts. To change our health. To change our success. To change our circumstances. To change our families. To change our world.

Que Dios le bendiga.

Haley

1 comment:

Trudy said...

Amen (so be it) to all of the above!! Trudy